For the first time in 6 years I just completed my second marathon, the Columbus Marathon 2014. In 2008 I ran the Green Mountain marathon in Vermont, I weight 300lbs and it took me 5 hours 27 minutes. This past weekend I completed the Columbus Marathon in 3 hours 59 minutes and 31 seconds and I’m over 100lbs lighter :). My goal was 3 hours 45 minutes, but I got calve cramps around mile 23.5 so the last few miles were done with a run/walk strategy.
I recently ran a 5k in Columbus Ohio and had my best time at 6:25/mile finishing at 19:52.
After a successful weight-loss in 2013 and hitting a plateau in 2014 I decided to change things up a little. On June 22, 2014 I decided to try eating keto, which essentially consists of a very low carb (20-30g), high fat (180g), moderate protein diet (150g) and the idea is your body will learn to utilize fat stores for energy.
I’m just about two weeks into my eating keto style experiment and after suffering the typical keto flu symptoms the first week I survived!!! Total weight loss which was water consisted of about 6.5 pounds (water), and 2.4% body fat so far. I’m almost finished with the second week, my strength is back and my dizzy spells are gone (yay).
What does my diet consist of when eating keto? A combination of the following…
Eating Keto, Low Carb, Low Sugar, High Fat, Moderate Protein:
- Meat = Beef, Salmon, Turkey, Chicken, Pork
- Vegetables = Spinach, Broccoli, Asparagus, and small amounts of tomato, zucchini and summer squash
- Snacks = Almonds, Macadamia Nuts, Quest Bars (Chocolate Brownie, Almond Crunch or Apple Pie)
- Quest Bar Note: I eat these to get fat, protein and the net carbs are super low making it a good snack
- Drinks = Water 3-4L per day (Typical Smart Water it has added electrolytes), Nuun Hydration Tabs (2 per day)
- Cheese = Tillamook Cheddar, Cabot Sharp, Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Oils = Coconut oil (1Tbps in my coffee in the morning, Bullet Proof Coffee (hint put in blender for a lattee)), EVOO and Kerrygold Butter
Obviously this is ever-changing but it fits within my macros and calorie limits.
- Breakfast = Three fried eggs, 6g of butter and a single piece of cheese and maybe a ham slice.
- Snack = 12 Almonds
- Lunch = Meat, typically 6-8oz and some spinach or broccoli
- Snack = 12 Almonds
- Dinner = Meat, 8=10oz which spinach or broccoli
- Snack = Cabot Cheese and Quest Bar
I’ll continue to try to keep the blog updated with progress along the way..
Last week I felt pretty good, I traveled only a few days and managed to get some good quality workouts in.
- Total Miles 51.22
- Total running miles 25.83
- Total biking miles 25.39
I picked up a new Garmin 620 a few week ago and I’ve been following this half marathon training guide along with core and strength workouts.
The weather was amazing this morning in Montreal so I decided to hit the road for a short casual 3 mile city run before my meetings. It’s the first time I’ve run in my Skora Running shoes barefoot and its amazing compared to running in them with socks…