A couple years ago I was working on project to manage PowerDNS via the web called MoxieDNS. Unfortunately, it got put on the back burner because of other projects. However, I decided to revive the project in limited form, cleanup the code and release it to the public in hopes someone will be able to expand upon it. In its current state, the application works. However, there are bugs and inconsistencies.
The goals behind creating the project were pretty simple:
- End User: Allow for the creation of DNS templates for fast deployment
- End User: Create primary DNS and secondary DNS for domains.
- End User: Add URL forwarding
- End User: Add DNS records A, AAAA, MX, PTR, CNAME, TXT, SRV
- Admin: Create/delete/modify users
- Admin: Put application in maintenance mode (do not allow modifications to records)
- Admin: Set domain, template, url forward limits for users
- Admin: Manage application settings, dns servers, TTL times etc.
- Admin: Billing module (not completed)
- Admin: Set per domain query limits (not completed)
- General: Per user logging
- General: Simple/clean interface for managing records.
- General: PHP, mySQL back-end, using PEAR DB modules to allow for fast porting to other SQL platforms
- General: Full permission system
Some of the known issues with the project include:
- Interface bugs, not redirecting correctly after making changes
- Browser compatibility issues (not compliant by any means)
- Dirty code
- Logging needs to be improved
- Possible internal permission issues (need code auditing to verify)
- Priority edit field shows on records other then MX
- Adding secondary dns is broke (template issue)
- I’m sure there are more 🙂
I set up a end user demo at http://xlogicgroup.com/dns/ login: test , password: test
For anyone interested in checking it out until its released. The current demo has a max of 20 test domains.