A little info about me..
- I am entrepreneurial by nature. I have the itch..
- I started a successful dialup ISP in 2001 which employed over 10+ people and 25,000 customers across the US.
- I started a VPS hosting company in 2009 which I sold in 2010. It had over 1,000 customers globally within the first year and generated profit within the first month.
- I founded the official Ubuntu Linux Forums in October of 2004. Since then its grown to be one of the largest Linux forums on the Internet. In June 2007 I transferred ownership to Canonical.
- I’m interested in Apple/OSX, Linux, NFS, SAN Storage, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, PHP, Virtualization, VMware, Hyper-V, OpenVZ, Xen, Hiking, Running and coffee.
- I co-authorerd a book on Virtualization/VMware called VMware Cookbook for O’Reilly, which was released on 11/2/2009. The second edition of this book focused on ESXi 5.x is now available via Amazon and other outlets.
- I’m available for speaking engagements on the following topics: Storage Platforms (scaling, growth, technologies), Virtualization (VMware, HyperV, XEN, KVM, OpenVZ, VDI), best practices around previous technologies and compute platforms. Additionally, I can cover topics such as weight-loss and fitness. Contact for me additional details.
- June 21st 2012 – Cincinnati, Ohio – Martini 22: Infrastructure We Trust – Guest Speaker on VDI
- July 26th 2012 – Indianapolis, Ohio – VMware UserGroup – Stress-Free Data Protection for VMware and VDI w/ Nimble Storage
Tools I use daily
- MacBook Pro 15in Retina
- Macbook Air 11in w/ 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD
- Gold 128GB iPhone 6 Plus – Verizon
- VMware Fusion
- Coda, Versions, Terminal, Chrome and Safari
Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition – Released 12/21/2009 – Co-Author
Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition presents comprehensive coverage of the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution. Windows users, Mac users, and Linux enthusiasts have been increasingly turning to Ubuntu for a user-friendly, easy-to-use Linux distribution. This book provides detailed information on installing, using, and administering Ubuntu. You will learn how to set up a workstation or a server, and you will find complete details on Ubuntu’s easy-to-use desktop and productivity software.
Issue: Linux Starter Kit w/ Ubuntu 8.10
Title: A Command Line Introduction Authors: Matthew Helmke, Ryan Troy, Title: Dual-booting Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows Author: Ryan Troy, Title: Becoming familiar with gFTP Author: Ryan Troy, Title: Writing code with Bluefish Author: Ryan Troy, Title: Managing multiple user accounts in Ubuntu Author: Ryan Troy, Title: Running Windows applications in Ubuntu 8.10 Author: Ryan Troy.
Issue: Ubuntu 8.10
Title: A Command Line Introduction Authors: Matthew Helmke, Ryan Troy, Title: Basic Ubuntu 8.10 Security Author: Ryan Troy
Additional Magazine Articles:
Linux + Magazine : Issue 3/2008
Title: Favorite Media Programs in Ubuntu Authors: Matthew Helmke, Ryan Troy
Linux + Magazine: Issue 4/2008
Title: Going virtual with Ubuntu Authors: Ryan Troy, Matthew Helmke
Ubuntu Pocket Guide: http://ubuntupocketguide.com/
I was one of the tech reviewers for this publication.