Yesterday was a really fun day doing the NHL Allstar 5k in Columbus Ohio. The race kicked off at 9am, the weather was chilly at 25 degree’s. Over 2,900 people came to run in the race and the atmosphere was really fun as well. This will go down as one of the best 5k’s I’ve done to date, it was organized really well.
I placed 57th out of 2,977 and 6th in my age group out of 397 (30-39). My garmin FR620 tracked 3.28 miles at 21:23, 5k at 20:35 with a pace of 6:37 and the official time was 21:23 at 6:53 pace.
NHL Allstar 5k – Before
Columbus Ohio NHL Allstar 5k
A few months ago I signed up for the Rocks and Roots trail series here in Ohio. The race had an option where you could register for two races one in January and on in February. Today, was the first race and it was a 20k (12.4 miles). The weather was around 20 degrees, snowy with a mild wind.
Starting Line at the race.
A few things I did that I wont repeat in February
- The water and waterline in my Camelbak froze. Bummer..
- I wore a pair of injini tow socks and covered them with a pair of Feetures thick socks. (I got some serious blisters with this combo)
What I will do again and differently
- I wore three layers, a light base ($5 Costco special dry/warm shirt, who knew it was really decent), a thicker smartwool layer and a thicker REI running coat.
- I’ll double my socks, but the bottom layer will be a pair of Wrightsocks. I have the best luck with those.
- My brooks pure grit 3 head up nicely.
I finished 20 out of 74 in the 20k pool. I’m pretty happy with that with a time of 2 hours and 12 minutes.
I loved this race and it was a really good way to kick off 2015.
I’m really excited that I decided to do the Leadville Heavy Half Marathon in Leadville, Colorado this year. The race takes place in June and it’ll be a trail marathon. The closest I’m going to get to this is the Rock n Roots Trails series 20k/30k in January and February of this year in Ohio.
I spent 5 years living in Colorado and this will be my first time back in 12 years and I’m excited to be in the mountains again.
2015 is going to be a great year for races!
Today’s run was good, the wind wasn’t as bad as yesterday so I decided to push further. I did my normal 4.6 mile route keeping a 7:52/mile average pace.
Next week I’ll be doing treadmill runs in hotels as I’ll be back on the road..